Training for your personal assistant

If you choose to employ your own Personal Assistants (PAs), the person assisting you with drawing up your support plan and/or use Penderels Trust (opens in a new window) a direct payment support service who can help you think through what you need to do to become a responsible employer. This will include thinking through any training you/your staff will need to undertake.

You need to make sure any staff you employ are able to carry out the tasks you expect of them and do not put you or themselves at risk of being injured. It is, therefore, particularly important that you and your staff understand the implications of any moving and handling tasks expected of them. Insurance companies state that they will only pay out if the Personal Assistant is trained in moving and handling by an appropriate trainer.

Employers are required to provide their staff with instruction, information, training and supervision. In particular health and safety legislation applies to employers of 5 or more staff who are then legally required to provide training. The Council strongly recommend that you identify your own training needs so you can provide some formal guidance/training to your Personal Assistants. Penderels Trust (opens in a new window) a direct payment support service will  be able to advice on this and also provide information about suitable, available training. We also recommend that they/you access the training courses you have identified. This may mean attending some courses together. Some training is also available in the home setting.

If your personal assistant has not already undertaken training, and depending on the tasks they will be asked to undertake, the sorts of courses you may need to consider are for example:

  • Moving and Handling – if your personal assistant supporting you with any moving and handling tasks, then they will need to have Moving and Handling training
  • First Aid
  • Infection Control
  • Food Hygiene
  • Administration of Medication
  • Health and Safety

You may also want to consider other specialist courses for example courses about dementia awareness, autism, diabetes and other issues.

Useful links

Skills for care (opens in a new window)

Skills for care - workforce development fund (opens in a new window)

Who can I contact for more advice?

You can contact the Access, Triage and Intervention Service (ATIS) please call 01905 768053.

Penderels Trust

Offer advice, guidance and practical solutions to enable people with disabilities and older people to live independently in their own homes, to achieve their goals in life and to help them play an active part in their community. For more help with personal budgets and direct payments visit the Penderels Trust website (opens in a new window).