Employing a personal assistant

You may choose to employ your own personal assistant. You can pay for your personal assistant with your direct payments.

The Council strongly recommends that you use Penderels Trust (opens in a new window) a direct payment support service when using your direct payment to employ personal assistants. They can provide you with an information pack about their services.

The Council strongly recommends that if you choose to use a personal assistant to provide your support, that you employ the staff and not use people who offer a service as self-employed personal assistants.

When you choose to employ people you take on significant responsibilities. You must think about all the aspects of employing your own staff to ensure you are a good employer.

Covid-19 information and guidance

Coronavirus (COVID-19) personal budgets and direct payments