Essential maintenance to our online payments system

My journey into adulthood (SEND Local Offer)

Transitions for young people aged 14 plus

Some young people with additional needs will need extra support to do things that are important to them in adult life. The Young Adults Team work with 16-25 year old young people who have additional needs and require support to plan and co-ordinate their transition to adulthood. This is known as Transition Planning.

Transition Planning should start in school from age 14 (School Year 9). If your son or daughter has an education, Health and Care Plan, they should have a transition review organised by the school - the review will include making a Transition Plan. If your son or daughter has help from Children's Services, and is likely to need help from Adult Services, a Social Worker will attend any review meetings to find out more.

Your Social Worker will get to know your son or daughter by visiting at home, at school and other places and will begin planning for adulthood with your son or daughter.

Who is the Young Adults Team?

The Young Adults Team within adults social care work with young adults to transfer from children's to adult's services.

Find out more about the Young Adults Team

More information

There is lots of information and advice on the national Preparing for Adulthood website (opens in a new window) about getting a job, living independently, staying health and friends, relationships and being part of the community.

If you are a parent or carer of a young person transitioning to adulthood there is more information and support on the Carers of young people aged 18 and over page.

The social care institute for excellence have produced a guide on Preparing for adulthood: The role of social workers (opens in a new window). This guide looks at what social workers need to do to help young people with learning disabilities prepare for adulthood (transition).