Day nurseries are registered with Ofsted on the Early Years Register to look after babies and pre-school children.
- they usually have fixed opening times and are usually open all day and during the school holidays to meet the needs of working parents
- they may also offer before and after school childcare and holiday care for school aged children
- day nurseries may be on premises used solely for childcare, or may be on domestic premises (eg the home of the nursery owner)
- you can ask to see their latest inspection report when you visit, or you can view them at the Ofsted website at Ofsted - Find an inspection report (opens in a new window)
- all nurseries must have public liability insurance
This includes childcare that has spaces for 2, 3 and 4 year old funded children, as well as those that provide before and after school pick-ups and those that specifically cater for children with a disability or special educational need.