Essential maintenance to our online payments system

Children's Services Privacy Notice

Who we may share your information with

We may need to share the personal information you have given to us or we’ve collected about you with partner organisations where relevant to the individual and/or their care provision. These include but are not limited to:

  • other services with Worcestershire County Council
  • other local authorities (in cases of adoption and fostering in particular)
  • government departments i.e. Department of Education
  • health/GPs/NHS
  • police
  • benefit agencies
  • housing agencies
  • children's centres
  • Youth Justice/probation
  • prospects (NEET Service)
  • COMPASS/School Health and Wellbeing Service
  • voluntary and community groups
  • The Department for Education (DfE)

Information will only ever be shared when it is strictly necessary to help us provide effective services and you may have the right to refuse. We will not pass it onto any other parties unless required to do so by law or in all reasonable circumstances the disclosure is fair and warranted for the purposes of processing or subject to a data protection exemption.

We have specific data sharing agreements in place with local agencies and sometimes the law requires that we may have to pass your details on to a third party, for example, to prevent crime.

The Department for Education

The Department for Education (DfE) collects personal data from educational settings and local authorities via various statutory data collections. We are required to share information about our children in need and children looked after with the Department for Education (DfE) for the purpose of those data collections under:

Children in Need (CIN) and Children Looked After (SSDA903):

We share children in need and children looked after data with the Department on a statutory basis, under Section 83 of 1989 Children’s Act, Section 7 of the Young People’s Act 2008 and also under section 3 of The Education (Information About Individual Pupils) (England) Regulations 2013.

All data is transferred securely and held by DfE under a combination of software and hardware controls which meet the current government security policy framework. For more information visit Security policy framework: protecting government assets (GOV.UK website, opens in a new window)

How government uses your data

The data that we lawfully share with the DfE through data collections helps to:

  • develop national policies
  • manage local authority performance
  • administer and allocate funding
  • identify and encourage good practice

Data collection requirements

To find out more about the data collection requirements placed on us by the Department for Education go to: 

Children in need census: guide to submitting data (GOV.UK website, opens in a new window)

Children looked after return: guide to submitting data (GOV.UK website, opens in a new window)

The National Pupil Database (NPD)

Much of the data about pupils in England goes on to be held in the National Pupil Database (NPD).

The NPD is owned and managed by the Department for Education and contains information about pupils in schools in England. It provides invaluable evidence on educational performance to inform independent research, as well as studies commissioned by the Department.

It is held in electronic format for statistical purposes. This information is securely collected from a range of sources including schools, local authorities and awarding bodies.

To find out more about the NPD, visit How to access Department for Education (DfE) data extracts (GOV,UK website, opens in a new window).

Sharing by the Department

The law allows the department to share pupils’ personal data with certain third parties, including:

  • schools and local authorities
  • researchers
  • organisations connected with promoting the education or wellbeing of children in England
  • other government departments and agencies
  • organisations fighting or identifying crime

For more information about the department’s NPD data sharing process, please visit Data protection: how we share pupil and workforce data (GOV.UK website, opens in a new window).

Organisations fighting or identifying crime may use their legal powers to contact DfE to request access to individual level information relevant to detecting that crime. Whilst numbers fluctuate slightly over time, DfE typically supplies data on around 600 pupils per year to the Home Office and roughly 1 per year to the Police.

For information about which organisations the department has provided pupil information, (and for which project) or to access a monthly breakdown of data share volumes with Home Office and the Police please visit DfE external data shares (GOV.UK website, opens in a new window).

How to find out what personal information DfE hold about you

Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 2018, you’re entitled to ask the Department:

  • if they are processing your personal data
  • for a description of the data they hold about you
  • the reasons they’re holding it and any recipient it may be disclosed to
  • for a copy of your personal data and any details of its source

If you want to see the personal data held about you by the Department, you should make a ‘subject access request’. Further information on how to do this can be found within the Department’s Personal information charter (GOV.UK website, opens in a new window).


Contact the Department for Education (DfE) (GOV.UK website, opens in a new window)