Essential maintenance to our online payments system

Transport Toolkit FAQs

Adult Social Care Transport – Frequently Asked Questions

This information sheet provides some additional guidance for adults who need to travel to services to meet their assessed adult social care needs, for example Day Services or Replacement (Respite) Care services. Please see Worcestershire County Council’s “Transport Policy for Adult Social Care” for full eligibility and policy information.

Am I eligible for support with transport to services?

For adults who have eligible needs under the Care Act 2014, transport will be considered as part of your assessment and support plan. Where eligible needs are identified, it does not automatically follow that transport assistance will be provided. However, transport assistance will be provided where necessary to enable you to safely access facilities or services in the local community, and no other travel option is available.

Can I arrange my own travel from an independent source and meet the cost of travel from any mobility allowance awarded to me?

Yes. A person who receives a benefit, for example the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP), to facilitate their mobility needs, may consider using this to access support and services. If the person is not in receipt of any mobility allowance, then support can be provided to make an application.

Can I use my own transport?

Yes. If you have your own motor vehicle, a vehicle obtained through the Motability scheme, a specially adapted vehicle or another vehicle that you have access to, in accordance with the transport policy, you would be encouraged to consider using it.

Can I walk or cycle, use a wheelchair, mobility scooter or a walking aid to the service?

es, travelling independently is encouraged. Being able to walk might mean by walking alone or with the assistance from someone else, for example, using a buddying scheme or assistance from family, friends or a carer.

Can I use public transport?

Yes. This might be travelling independently or with assistance from someone else for example, a buddying scheme, family, friends or a carer. Assistive Technology, for example travel apps, can also be considered (see the link on the WCC Adult Social Care Transport website for more information).

Can I use a concessionary bus pass?

Yes. More information including how to apply for a concessionary bus pass can be found on the link on the WCC Adult Social Care Transport website.

If an escort assistant is essential, are they eligible for a bus pass?

If the ability to travel would be made possible by an accompanying companion, and the eligibility criteria are met, a companion pass can be attached to a disabled bus pass where care and support is required at all times. This entitles a second person to travel free of charge with the pass holder. The disabled pass holder needs to make the application. Eligibility is stated on the application page. More information can be found on the link on the WCC Adult Social Care Transport website.

Is there a limit on the distance for which transport can be provided?

In principle, you should be able to access support and community services nearest to where you live, and this would be encouraged in order to promote local inclusion and involvement in your local area. However, this will be based on meeting assessed eligible need.

Can I share travel arrangements with another person accessing that service?

Transport sharing is encouraged to support sustainable travel. This could be done using a pooled direct payment. (See the Iink on the WCC Adult Social Care Transport website for more details about direct payments.)

Can I access transport with a carer, family member or friend?

Yes. Where it is identified that a carer will provide travel assistance, the council officer will ensure any impact of this solution has been appropriately considered in the carer’s assessment.

What will happen if, on occasion, family, friends, or carer is unable to provide travel assistance; what are the contingencies?

Alternative arrangements should be detailed in a contingency plan to cover periods where they are unable to assist. This will be set out within your care and support plan.

What about if I live in residential care, a supported living scheme, or some other supported housing setting?

Where people are living in settings funded by the Council there is an expectation that the cost of the placement will meet the full range of support needs, including travel to and from community activities, unless assessed as otherwise.