School Closures Today (Alert 1 of 3) School Closures Tomorrow (Alert 2 of 3) Try out and test our new website! (Alert 3 of 3)

Support for adults who are in prison

Local authorities are responsible for the assessment of all adults who are in custody in their area and who appear to be in need of care and support, regardless of which area the individual came from or where they will be released to.

If an individual is transferred to another custodial establishment in a different local authority area this responsibility will transfer to the new area.

Where a local authority is made aware that an adult in a custodial setting may have care and support needs, they must carry out an assessment as they would for someone in the community.

If you need further advice on this please email