Safe and reliable journeys throughout the county are essential for social and economic prosperity which supports our key priority of championing 'Open for Business' in our Corporate Plan "Shaping Worcestershire's Future". The local highway network is the most valuable asset we own and plays a vital part in delivering the County Council's vision which sets our ambition towards 2022.
Worcestershire County Council recognises the importance of applying the principles of asset management through the process of long term planning and whole life costing. This ensures best value and optimal future funding and enabling effective programming decisions are taken.
Asset Management is a strategic approach that seeks to optimise the allocation of resources for the management, operation, preservation and enhancement of the highway infrastructure to meet the needs of current and future users of the transport network.
Our Highway maintenance teams carry out regular inspections and reactive repairs to identified defects (e.g. potholes) and regularly review our procedures and frequently monitor the condition of our network. Highway maintenance teams' main duties include:
- regular highway inspections
- planned maintenance schemes such as resurfacing and grass cutting
- reactive maintenance work such as pothole repairs
- winter maintenance activities such as gritting
We respond to defects using a risk based approach; urgent defects are made safe as soon as possible. All other defects are completed within the 28 days period as identified in line with Department for Transport guidance.
This way of working allows us to manage and effectively invest in our network to maintain it for current and future users. The following documents set out the County Council’s commitment to highway infrastructure asset management and demonstrate how the asset management approach aligns with the County Council's corporate vision and objectives.
- Highway Maintenance Plan
- Highway Maintenance Policy
- Highways Asset Management Policy
- Highways Asset Management Strategy
- Highways Asset Management Funded Information Strategy
- Highway Assets Lifecycle Plan
- Shaping Worcestershire's Future 2017 to 2022
- The Local Transport Plan
- Transport Asset Management Plan
- WCC Highways Asset Management Communication Strategy
- Highways Wet Spot Policy