School Closures Tomorrow (Alert 1 of 2) Social Care Referrals and Family Support (Alert 2 of 2)


Looking For Treasure

If you use a metal detector then always obtain permission from the landowner before using a metal detector on his/her land.  It is a good idea to agree in advance how you will deal with anything you might find Please check with bodies such as English Heritage before using a metal detector on their property. Council owned common land may also be governed by bye-laws. 

If you find something

If you find any ancient artefact(man-made object), take it to your local museum or police station.  All Treasure finds must be reported to the Coroner within 14 days. In the first instance please report your find to the Coroner’s Officer. Failure to do so is a criminal offence.  The Coroner will contact the relevant body to investigate your find.

You will need to have as much as possible of the following information available when reporting your find:

  • your name and contact details
  • date of find
  • location of find (including a map reference if available)
  • name of land owner

If the find is declared to be Treasure then it may be claimed by the Crown, and if so, the Treasure Valuation Committee will value the find and you will be awarded the full market value of the Treasure.

What if the find is not Treasure?

Remember that even if your find does not fit the Treasure criteria it may be of historical importance. It may be that your find can provide additional information about the past to archaeologists or historians. These finds can be recorded voluntarily under the Portable Antiquities Scheme. They can be contacted on 020 7232 8611 or email: 

Information about Treasure and when you should report it from GOV.UK (opens in a new window)