Essential maintenance to our online payments system

Marriages / Civil Ceremonies in Worcestershire

A civil wedding can currently take place at any Registration Office or Approved Premises in Worcestershire. You do not have to live within the County to have one of our special ceremonies.

It is important to remember that:

  • your marriage cannot take place unless the legal formalities have been completed
  • both parties must give a separate notice of marriage in person to the Superintendent Registrar for the Registration District where they live, this cannot be done on your behalf
  • where an advance booking for a marriage has been made, it is essential that a formal notice be given to the Superintendent Registrar once you are legally able to do so

Making arrangements

  1. choose a Venue - view a selection of licensed venues in Worcestershire
  2. find out the ceremony costs
  3. plan your ceremony, by taking a look at our package options that will suit your special day (you can upgrade your package options at any time)
  4. to book a registrar for your chosen venue - please complete an enquiry form and one of our dedicated team will respond to you
  5. before making your booking please make sure you have read our terms and conditions, by continuing to book your ceremony through Worcestershire Registration Services, you agree to be bound by these
  6. a non-refundable/non-transferable £50 deposit is payable at the time of booking the Registrars for a ceremony; this is applicable to the booking of any ceremony
  7. we can also take bookings for ceremonies between 12 months and 2 years to the day in advance, there is an additional non-refundable/non-transferable advanced booking fee of £50 which is also required at the time of booking
  8. give notice of marriage before the date of your ceremony - both parties will need to give a separate Notice of Marriage in person to the Superintendent Registrar for the Registration District where they live - a notice of marriage is valid for twelve months and must be valid at the time of your ceremony

Legal requirements

  • before a marriage can take place it is necessary for a notice of marriage to be given
  • both parties will need to give in person a separate Notice of Marriage to the Superintendent Registrar of the District where they live
  • documents (e.g. divorce decree absolute, birth certificate, a current valid full passport) will be requested by the Superintendent Registrar; photocopies will not be accepted; Superintendent Registrars will be able to refuse to issue their authority for a marriage to proceed if they are not satisfied that a person is free to marry in this Country
  • Registration Officers have a legal duty to report any marriage they suspect has been arranged for the sole purpose of evading the statutory immigration controls

There are new rules relating to those subject to immigration control while in the UK, you can find out more on the GOV.UK website.


On the day of the wedding you will need to bring with you at least two other people who are prepared to witness the marriage and sign the marriage register.


A fee is payable for:

  • the giving of a Notice of Marriage by each of the parties
  • the attendance of a Registrar to register the marriage
  • a certified copy of an entry in the Marriage Register (Marriage Certificate)

These fees are set by Parliament and may change each year. For marriages at approved premises in Worcestershire there is a fee set by Worcestershire County Council for the attendance of the Superintendent Registrar and Registrar.

See our main fees page for further details.