If you are new to Family History and don't know where to start we have the perfect guide for you. Our Introduction to Family History Research gives you top hints and tips on how to get started and what to do if you get stuck. Take a look!
Family history: a 1940s wedding photograph
Where to visit?
The Hive is the perfect place to start for anyone interested in family or local history and is free to use.
Although our resources tend to focus on Worcestershire, we have a variety of sources that cover England and Wales and even wider in some cases. We can also advise you how to access material for other areas.
What sources do we hold?
The Archive Service has a wide range of sources for anyone wanting to find out about their family history. These are just a few examples. Please contact us for more information.
- Books and pamphlets on genealogy and important local families are also available via our online library catalogue
- Name indexes of wills available to search at The Hive dating from 15th Century onwards, which can be viewed on microfilm up to 1848.
- Maps and Plans of Worcestershire online
- Parish register index online
There is a Free guide to Worcestershire sources by the Worcester branch of BMSGH (Birmingham & Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry).
How do I access the information?
- The material is mainly for reference only but access to all the sources is free. You only pay for the copies you make or for any material ordered in.
- Some of the material is available in electronic form. Computers can be booked in advance or on the day to access this information.
- Local libraries often have information about how to trace your family history. Please check the online library catalogue for books.
- We also have an archive enquiry and research service if you cannot come and visit us yourself. Please ask for further details if you are interested.
- You may also wish to try using other Family History websites.
More places to look
Here are some more great places to start your search:
- Ancestryinstitution.co.uk: A great place to start when researching your family history. Access is free at The Hive and any Worcestershire Library
- Baptism Index: A Worcestershire Baptism Index is available using computers at The Hive. Please see staff for further details. Between 1754-1812 - it contains 30 complete parishes and from 1813-1839 - it contains 196 complete parishes. The index contains 600,000 names and is constantly being updated.
- Church of Latter Day Saints: The International Genealogical Index
- Worcestershire Registration Service