Overview and Scrutiny
About Overview and Scrutiny
Overview and Scrutiny is a key part of the checks and balances necessary to hold the Cabinet (opens in a new window) to account. It is key to improving policies and performance. It can help ensure that services respond to the needs of the local community and are efficient, cost effective and easy to use.
Councillors can also scrutinise a number of organisations which work with the Council to improve local services.
Overview and Scrutiny is also a way of involving local people, communities and organisations to ensure that their views are used to improve services whenever possible.
Worcestershire County Council has established an Overview and Scrutiny Performance Board (OSPB) (opens in a new window) to undertake this work, supported by the Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee (opens in a new window) and the Overview and Scrutiny Panels:
- Adult Care and Well Being Overview and Scrutiny Panel (opens in a new window)
- Children and Families Overview and Scrutiny Panel (opens in a new window)
- Corporate and Communities Overview and Scrutiny Panel (opens in a new window)
- Economy and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Panel (opens in a new window)
These bodies can consider any matter affecting Worcestershire or its residents and have powers to:
- review and make recommendations on any council functions, policies or budgets
- make reports and recommendations directly to the Council's Cabinet and full Council