Wild World Heroes Summer Reading Challenge 2021
The Summer Reading Challenge is an annual event led by The Reading Agency and delivered through public libraries across the UK.
It is for children aged 4 to 11 years and aims to inspire families to share their love of reading for pleasure to build skills, increase confidence, support educational attainment, and improve wellbeing.
This year the Reading Agency have teamed up with the World Wildlife Federation (WWF) and the theme is Wild World Heroes! It promises to be a positive celebration of reading, nature and action for the environment, perfect for budding eco warriors!
Naturalists Dara McAnulty and Steve Backshall have been recruited as challenge ambassadors.
For more information follow the dedicated Worcestershire Libraries Wild World Heroes Summer Reading Challenge Facebook page (opens in a new window) and use the hashtag #SummerofReading to share your reading adventures!
Sign up for the Summer Reading Challenge!
The ‘Wild World Heroes’ Summer Reading Challenge launches on 10 July and runs until 12 September 2021.
Due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions the Wild World Heroes Summer Reading Challenge 2021 will be a blended model of online and face to face activity.
Sign up is online and libraries provide free access to computers and Wi-Fi for children and families who do not have access to the internet or a computer at home.
Here’s how to take part!
- sign up via the online Challenge platform (opens in a new window) and set your own reading goal!
- visit your local Worcestershire library to collect your Adventure Sheet
- collect reward stamps or stickers for each adventure step you take!
- library staff will be on hand to help children select their reading books and provide encouragement.
- take part in events and activities taking place in libraries and online – book your place via the Worcestershire Libraries Eventbrite page (opens in a new window).
- once you’ve reached your reading goal, download your certificate from your online profile and collect a reading wristband from the library
At the heart of the Summer Reading Challenge is children choosing and sharing books of their choice, in any format. Novels, fact books, picture books, graphic novels, joke books, eBooks and audiobooks all count towards completing the Challenge and can be accessed for FREE from Worcestershire libraries!
Please note: Worcestershire libraries advise parental supervision when Junior library members access the digital library to download ebooks and eaudio. All library members have access to all content. It is the responsibility of parents and carers to ensure that any content downloaded for use by children is appropriate for the age of their child.
Find out more information about The Reading agency go to the Reading Agency website (opens in a new window).