Search Suggestions
Close Search Suggestions
A - Z of Resident Services:
You are here:
Before the Floods advice

Before the Floods

You can prepare your property for flooding by adapting the building to try to prevent flood water getting in and damaging walls, floors and contents. You can also make improvements so that even if flood water gets into the building, it causes less damage and makes drying-out and cleaning faster and easier.

The National Flood Forum's website has information on Flood Protection and Resilience.

Know what the new flood warning codes mean:

Symbol  Definition
Flood Alert sign This has replaced the former Flood Watch.  A Flood Alert means that flooding is possible and that you need to be prepared.
Flood Warning Sign This means that flooding is expected and that you should take immediate action.  You should take action when a flood warning is issued and not wait for a severe flood warning.
Severe flood warning sign This means that there is severe flooding and danger to life.  These are issued when flooding is posing significant risk to life or disruption to communities.


To prepare for flooding follow this advice:

  • Sign up to flood warnings from the Environment Agency. These will keep you up-to-date on any potential issues in your area;
  • Put together a Personal Flood Plan;
  • Sign up to Worcestershire County Council's Twitter account. Regular updates will be posted on there in the event of floods. To follow us, either visit or search for @worcscc on your Twitter application.
  • Collect personal belongings, including insurance and bank details, essential telephone numbers e.g. relatives and local council numbers and keep them together in a water proof bag;
  • Prepare a flood kit bag that is easily accessible to you, that has essential items, e.g. warm clothes, torch, radio (battery or wind up), food, water, money, bank cards, mobile phone, any medication and medical devices, hearing aid batteries, glasses and contact lenses and first aid kit. If you have a baby, pack nappies, clothing and baby food;
  • Buy flood insurance to protect your home and your belongings;
  • Find out where and how to switch off your gas and electricity;
  • Find out whether your local district council supplies sandbags;
  • If possible, move electrical equipment and furniture upstairs;
  • Alert neighbours and assist the elderly, infirm and those with small children;
  • Block doorways and air bricks;
  • Avoid walking and driving through floodwater;
  • Co-operate with any requests to evacuate your premises;
  • If you are evacuated, domestic pets will be cared for by the RSPCA while you are at the rest centre;
  • Find out more information on what to do during and after the floods.

Further Information

In this section

More Information

See also in our website

External websites

  • National Flood Forum 
  • Worcestershire's Trader Register is a free online directory of home improvement trades people who have given their commitment to provide good workmanship.
  • Highways Agency
    The Highways Agency is an Executive Agency of the Department for Transport (DfT), and is responsible for operating, maintaining and improving the strategic road network in England on behalf of the Secretary of State for Transport.

We are not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more

Was this information helpful?

Please rate the content of this page
Would you like to provide any additional comments relating to the content of this page? Your feedback will help us to improve the content of our web pages

This page was last reviewed 14 February 2014 at 10:51.
The page is next due for review 13 August 2015.