Exclusions and Alternative Provision Review: Feedback on Implementation PlanPublished: Thursday, 25th March 2021
The Exclusions and Alternative Provision Review was initiated in August 2020
Why are we doing the review?
The Exclusions and Alternative Provision Review was initiated in August 2020 because the local and national context (such as the 2019 OFTED framework and Worcestershire’s Education and Skills Strategy 2019-24) indicate that approaches in Worcestershire require review.
What are we trying to achieve?
The aims of this review are:
- to understand the current model and practice of exclusions and use of alternative provision in Worcestershire
- to agree future needs and aspirations in regard to exclusions and use of alternative provision
- to agree a sustainable and effective approach to exclusions and use of alternative provision which will meet future needs and aspirations for children and young people
What have we done so far?
During the initial phase of the review, research was undertaken to understand what is working well and what is not working well in the current provision and findings were summarised in a research summary report. The Advisory Group met in February 2021 to discuss potential solutions to the issues identified and an implementation plan has been drafted based on these discussions.
Our plan focuses on:
- prevention - how to reduce exclusions
- intervention - how to ensure the decision to commission alternative provision for a pupil is appropriate and that the support put in place by the alternative provision is effective in improving outcomes for children and young people
- Reintegration - how to ensure pupils reintegrate back into mainstream education or onto a different pathway for their education where appropriate in a timely manner
What are the next steps?
We are now seeking feedback from our key stakeholders on our draft implementation plan. The feedback you provide is incredibly important for us so that we can shape our plan together to deliver positive outcomes for our families in Worcestershire.
Please note this survey will close at 5pm on 30th April 2021. If you have any questions, please email us on TaCT@worcestershire.gov.uk.
Supplementary documents for your background information
Video briefing on summary presentation from our research phase delivered by Assistant Director for SEND and Vulnerable Learners