Who are the children at risk of missing education?
Children of compulsory school age who are:
- not on a school roll
- not being educated other than at school
- identified as having been out of any educational provision for a substantial period of time (4 weeks)
Children go missing from education for a number of reasons including:
- they don't start school at the appropriate time and so they do not enter the educational system
- they are removed by their parents
- behaviour and/or attendance difficulties
- they cease to attend, due to exclusion, illness or bullying
- they fail to find a suitable school place after moving to a new area
- the family move home regularly
- problems at home
The law requires all children between the ages of 5 and 16 to be in full time education.
What can you do to help?
Worcestershire County Council Children's Service are keen for you to tell us about these children so that we can make sure that they are safe and that they receive an appropriate education.
If you are aware of children who are not either in school or receiving education at home then don't hesitate to contact through the options below. All information will be help confidentially and securely.
Please also tell us if you have any concerns about children who have gone missing from your area or neighbourhood.
Someone will then make contact with the family and children to make sure that they are safe and help identify an appropriate education provision.
If the children need some support to help them get back into school this will be provided.
Although the vast majority of children are located and returned to education, we will work with other agencies such as the Police if we cannot trace a child quickly.
Where children go missing from the Worcestershire area we will use the national missing children database to inform other parts of the country that there may be children new to their area in need of educational support.
Find out more information
Babcock Prime can help with further advice and support. Babcock Prime - Education Welfare (opens in a new window)
Contact the Children Missing Education team
Telephone: 01905 678140