The aim of the Special Educational Needs Disabilities Information and Support Service
The service aims to support and empower parents/carers, children and young people through the successes and difficulties of the education process. We aim to assist parents or carers, children and young people to feel confident and have the information and support that they need to make positive informed choices and decisions about their lives in order to:
- Enable children and young people to realise their full potential throughout the educational journey
- Work together with statutory and voluntary agencies who also support children and families
SENDIASS Worcestershire aims to represent the needs, views and opinions of parents or carers and children and young people to ensure their voice is heard. To achieve this we regularly monitor and evaluate all aspects of our work, and actively seek the views of parents or carers and children and young people in this process.
In order to fulfil our aims we are able to offer the following services:
- Telephone Support: on a range of issues concerning parents or carers and children and young people.
- Support for parents or carers and children and young people: This includes training for young people and support with setting up and running Parent Support Groups.
- Young Person Advisor - a dedicated advisor who works directly with young people and children on a face-to-face basis, to offer training and support on SEND educational matters.
- Independent Parental Support (IPS): An Independent Parental Supporter is a volunteer for the SENDIASS Worcestershire who is trained in SEND awareness and supports families with children who have been identified as having SEND.
- Support for schools: In order that parents or carers and children and young people and schools can build an effective partnership and working relationship, we support schools by offering SEND awareness sessions for parents or carers and children and young people; giving support and information on all aspects of SEND, non-curriculum issues such as bullying and complaints procedures. At all times we aim to be sensitive to the needs of both school and parents or carers and children and young people.
- Signposting Service: We hold a comprehensive list of support groups and voluntary agencies that are able to give additional information and support to parents or carers and children and young people on a wide range of educational and non-educational issues.