You automatically qualify if:
- you receive the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) (please see an example of a DLA award letter)
- you receive 8 points or more for the 'moving around' part of the mobility component of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (please see an example of a PIP award letter)
- you are registered as severely sight impaired (blind) under the National Assistance Act 1948 (partially sighted people do not automatically qualify) or you have a Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI) indicating you are severely partially sighted
- you receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- you receive Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) award, tariffs 1-8 and have been assessed by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA) as having a permanent and substantial disability that causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty walking
You may qualify if:
- you have a permanent and substantial disability which affects your mobility and means you have considerable difficulty in walking
- you have a child under 3 years old and need to transport bulky medical equipment for urgent treatment, or always be near a vehicle so they can be treated or driven to a place for treatment for a permanent illness
- you drive a vehicle regularly and have a severe disability in both arms and have considerable difficulty working parking meters
Your organisation may qualify if:
- your organisation cares for and transports groups of disabled people who would qualify for a Blue Badge in their own right
Your organisation should be using a vehicle specifically adapted for the use of disabled passengers; provide details of the adaptations and if the vehicle is licensed under the Disabled Passenger Vehicle (DPV) taxation class and confirm that the vehicle is solely being used for the purpose of transporting the disabled people being cared for. The organisation will need to provide proof of the above eligibility and each vehicle will require a separate badge.
The Blue Badge team will need to see a copy of the letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) dated within the last 12 months, showing that you receive Disability Living Allowance 'higher rate mobility component for help with getting around', it maybe indefinite or time limited.
Disability Living Allowance example
The Blue Badge team will need to see a full copy of the latest award letter (not your Yearly Update or Annual Advice Letter) from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) showing that you receive '8 points or more for the 'moving around activity' under the mobility section' of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
Personal Independence Payment example