Sustainable development is:
Development which meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
Considering economic, social and environmental issues in an integrated way will help improve quality of life for everyone. Sustainable development means doing things differently at work, at school and at home. We all have a part to play.
The Sustainability Action Plan outlines actions for improving sustainability within Worcestershire County Council.
We are working to assess the likely impacts of climate change on Worcestershire and are taking early steps to plan our services to minimise these impacts and disruptions to service delivery during severe weather events.
A Sustainable Council
We aim to lead by example
- Working to reduce energy consumption and therefore carbon emissions, through our Carbon Management Plan
- Considering the environmental and social impacts of the goods and services we procure
- Working to reduce our waste and encourage others to do the same
- Reducing car mileage for business and commuting journeys
- Striving to help develop a successful local economy.
We aim to educate children and adults
- Supporting the Eco-schools programme in Worcestershire
- Integrating sustainable development into the school curriculum
- Carrying out awareness raising campaigns on issues such as waste minimisation, energy efficiency and sustainable transport.
We aim to enable residents to live more sustainable
- Supporting residents to be energy efficient
- Helping to develop and promote recycling services
- Developing and promoting sustainable transport
- Supporting local business networks
- Protecting our countryside and biodiversity
- Enabling access to local services, for example through our land-use planning.
Find out more about the key sustainability features of the BREAM-outstanding rated Hive, Worcester's joint public and University library in this film.
There's more written information on the systems mentioned, and other sustainability features on the Hive website.
- County Council Sustainability Policy and Action Plan 2016 to 2017
- County Council Energy and Carbon Management Plan 2016-2021
- County Council Corporate Green House Gas Emissions Report 2009-2018
- Corporate Environmental Report 2016-2017
- WCC Sustainability Policy
- County Council Carbon Management Strategy and Action Plan 2011–2016
- Corporate Environmental Report 2014-2015
- Corporate Environmental Report 2013-2014
- Corporate Environmental Report 2015-2016