What is Bikeability?
Bikeability is today’s cycle training programme. It’s like cycling proficiency, but better! It’s about gaining practical skills and understanding how to cycle on today’s roads. Bikeability gives everyone the skills and confidence for all kinds of cycling.
Worcestershire County Council offers National Standard Bikeability Cycle Training to all schools within the County. Bikeability is promoted and supported by the Department of Transport and is designed to give the next generation the skills and confidence to ride their bikes on today's roads.
How does Bikeability work?
A pool of qualified cycle instructors has been recruited to ensure that as many individuals as possible can benefit from the scheme anywhere in the County.
There are three levels of training available:
- Level 1 – An introduction to cycling and involves basic bike control (suitable for age 8 years and above or school Year 4)
- Level 2 – An introduction to the on road environment and quieter roads (suitable for age 9 years and above or school Year 5)
- Level 3 – Provides skills for all on road environments, including more challenging traffic situations and complex junctions (suitable for age 14 years and above or school Year 9)
In order for the scheme to be sustained at a high quality the following charges apply.
- £5 per pupil for Level 1
- £10 per pupil for Level 2 or 3
(free training will be available to a small number of schools with the highest proportion of children receiving free school meals)
- £10 per pupil for Level 1
- £20 per pupil for Level 2 or 3
Adult Cycle Training
Professional Bikeability providers deliver on road and off road training through clubs, to families or individually to children, adults, new learners and experienced cyclists.
For one to one training or groups at any level or age please email or call us or visit the Department for Transport Bikeability website to search for your nearest course provider.
Do you live in Wyre Forest District Council area? Are you aged 16+? Download the Wyre Forest Cycle Training leaflet
To leave feedback about Bikeability Cycle Training please download one of our Bikeability feedback forms:
More information can be requested via email to Bikeability@worcestershire.gov.uk or by telephoning the Worcestershire Hub on 01905 765765.