The Benefits of Cycling
People cycle for lots of different reasons. Some choose it because it provides a cheaper way of getting to work, whilst others enjoy the opportunity to spend time with family and friends.
Whatever your reason for cycling, by using the bike you could:
- Save money – Once you have bought a bike, the running costs are extremely low in comparison to the car.
- Improve your health and fitness - Regular cyclists enjoy a fitness level of a person 10 years younger. Regular cycling also halves the risk of heart attacks and helps reduce risk factors like high blood cholesterol and high blood pressure.
- Save time - Cycling offers one of the most reliable journey times day after day. In urban areas cycling often saves time as you can cycle past stationary traffic and for short trips it is often quicker than using the car.
- Go where cars can’t go – Cycling is not only constrained to the road! Cyclists are able to make use of specialist bike paths, shared use pathways and bridleways, all of which act as useful shortcuts.
- Park easily – You don’t need to worry about fighting over parking spaces or remembering to carry the correct change for the parking meter. Cycle parking is free and conveniently located.
- Go Green – By riding your bike you’ll be doing your bit for the environment as cycling emits no carbon dioxide and helps to relieve traffic congestion.
The Benefits of Walking
- Save Money - Doesn't cost anything
- Practical way of getting around
- Improved health and fitness. A brisk 20 minute walk burns around 100 calories (418 joules)
- Convenient, go when and where you want
- Helps relieve traffic congestion and improve air quality