Special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and local offer
Are you a parent, teacher, family member or the child?
Visit the Your Life, Your Choice website where you can find the advice and support you need to get help.
The Local Offer
The Local Offer includes information about the education, health and social care services in the local area which are provided for children, young people and families who have SEN or disabilities. More information can be found on the Your Life, Your Choice website.
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information and Support Service
SENDIASS Worcestershire aims to represent the needs, views and opinions of parents or carers and children and young people to ensure their voice is heard. To achieve this we regularly monitor and evaluate all aspects of our work, and actively seek the views of parents or carers and children and young people in this process.
In 2014 the Children and Families Act reformed Special Educational Needs (SEN) legislation
The Government believed that the old system was failing children and their families.
The key changes are:
- Special Educational Needs (SEN) Statements and Learning Difficulty Assessments (LDAs) (for 16- to 25-year olds) are being replaced with a single, simpler 0-25 assessment process and Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).
- The statutory protections which were associated with a SEN statement are extended for young people up to the age of 25.
- Local authorities have to publish a Local Offer showing the support available to disabled children and young people and those with SEN, and their families.
- Parents or young people with Education, Health and Care Plans have the right to a personal budget for their support.
- The introduction of compulsory mediation for disputes and giving children the right to appeal if they are unhappy with their support.