Children with Disabilities
Activities in Worcestershire for Children and Young people with Disabilities
Worcestershire County Council's vision for children and young people with disabilities and complex health needs and their parents and carers is that they will have a choice of short breaks and activities available from quality providers, in the areas where they are needed.
A short break is a positive activity or service which:
- helps to develop a child or young person’s health, social and emotional development by giving them opportunities to take part in and enjoy new experiences
- gives parents and carers a break from caring responsibilities from time to time, allowing them time to re-fresh familial relationships.
Community short Breaks services are commissioned by Worcestershire to complement what is already provided by the voluntary and community sector. They are provided in addition to specialist short breaks that are exclusively accessed after an assessment of needs (including residential and home based weekend and overnight care, personal assistant and domiciliary services) that provide support for those families with children and young people who require the highest levels and the specialist services.
Community short breaks are largely accessed on self-referral basis except for specialist playschemes that take on both social care referred and self-referred children and young people. These could include:
- Ageappropriate activities provided by voluntary and community groups and leisure centres
- Weekend and evening clubs and activities
- Parent led groups
- Fun days out Children's centre activities
- Childcare and holiday scheme provision
- Youth services and groups
- Volunteering schemes
- Community and voluntary groups and activities for children with additional needs
The services and how they are delivered are kept under regular review to ensure that they continue to meet the needs of the children and their family carers with available resources. This means there are a variety of activities and services across the County that parents and carers can arrange for their child to take part in along with those that specifically address assessed needs of children and young people to enable their family carers have breaks from their caring responsibilities. Short breaks a list of Commissioned Services in Worcestershire.