Hartlebury Closed Landfill Site
Whitelenge Lane, Hartlebury, Worcestershire
<< Back to Recycling and Waste
Hartlebury Landfill site occupies an area of 8.3 hectares and is
located approximately 1km west of Hartlebury. It was filled
with approximately 723 200m3 of waste with an average
depth of 10m. The site was originally quarried for clay and
this was used for brick making as far back as the early 1900's.
The site was first landfilled in 1984 by the County Council and
ceased operating in April 1991. The site primarily accepted
domestic and non-hazardous commercial waste. Volumes of waste
brick-making materials and clay tailings were also periodically
introduced by Baggeridge Brick plc.
The site was constructed into the excavated Mercia Mudstone with
the site base founded on in-situ strata, therefore creating a
dilute and disperse site.
The site has an active gas control system. In 2009
the gas control system was updated with new internal wells and
pipework The control system comprises of fifty-one internal wells
linked to a flare stack that burns off the landfill gas in a
controlled manner, this ensures that the potential for gas
migration is kept to a minimum. Leachate is also pumped from the
site and tankered away for treatment and disposal, thus
safeguarding the surrounding environment.
- Lets Waste Less The http://www.letswasteless.com
website is packed full of ideas to help residents reduce, reuse and
recycle their household waste.
- EnviroSort Has the capacity to receive
and sort 105,000 tonnes of recyclable material per year. EnviroSort Website
We are not responsible for the content of external sites.
This page was last reviewed 18 October 2012 at 16:24.
The page is next due for review 16 April 2014.