Search Suggestions
Close Search Suggestions
A - Z of Resident Services:
You are here:
Blocked Drainage

Blocked Drainage

Blocked DrainsCleansing and maintenance of a private sewer outside of a property boundary is the responsibility of the sewerage undertaker. Please note that any enquiries regarding sewers should be directed to Severn Trent Water Ltd on 0800 7834444


What can you do to prevent a problem occurring

Many blockages and other problems could be prevented through good practice.

  • Do not dispose of fats or oils into the drain as they cool down and set as a hard scale.
  • Do not dispose of bulky sanitary items such as nappy liners into drains.
  • Do not apply permanent landscaping over inspection covers as they are needed for access to clear blockages.
  • Take care if you are considering planting deep-rooted trees such as willows, as the roots often enter sewers and drains.
  • Check to see whether your property insurance covers you for drainage problems. If not, it is possible to take out separate cover for this. It is important to check the amount of cover as you may not be insured for private pipes outside your property boundary.

Who is responsible?

Worcestershire County Council is responsible for maintaining highway drainage. The county council is responsible for the removal of surface water from the carriageway and footway as quickly as possible under normal weather conditions.

What we need from you

  • Please tell us the location of the problem
  • Pinpoint the location on the map
  • Please help us by telling us as much information as possible regarding the issue you are reporting
  • Please provide your contact details in case we need to contact you in order to obtain more detailed information to resolve your enquiry

How to Report it

To report a problem with a highway use the online reporting form

What we will do

In accordance with our Service Level Agreement, we will look at all reported issues within 28 days. However, where we are advised that this is urgent, inspections and resultant works will be prioritised.

Further Information

In this section

More Information

See also in our website

External websites

  • National Flood Forum 
  • Worcestershire's Trader Register is a free online directory of home improvement trades people who have given their commitment to provide good workmanship.
  • Highways Agency
    The Highways Agency is an Executive Agency of the Department for Transport (DfT), and is responsible for operating, maintaining and improving the strategic road network in England on behalf of the Secretary of State for Transport.

We are not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more

Was this information helpful?

Please rate the content of this page
Would you like to provide any additional comments relating to the content of this page? Your feedback will help us to improve the content of our web pages

This page was last reviewed 6 May 2014 at 9:32.
The page is next due for review 2 November 2015.