Search Suggestions
Close Search Suggestions
A - Z of Resident Services:
You are here:
Children in Entertainment

Children in Entertainment

A child Performance Licence must be obtained for all children, from babies until they cease to be of compulsory school age. The Child Performance Licence allows your child to perform in either:

  • Theatre
  • Modelling and Sport
  • Licensed premises


The child has not performed more than 4 days in the 6 months preceding (and including) the date of the first performance being applied for. The total days must also include those for any other organisations, but not school performances;

and they do not require time off school (paid or unpaid)

or the performance is under arrangements made with the school or a Body of Persons exemption can be granted by The Children in Entertainment Department of Children's Services or Secretary of State (if certain criteria are met);

and no payment is made to the child or any person, except for defraying expenses.


The licence applicant is the person responsible for the production in which the child is to take part.

The holder of the licence is the person who is responsible for observing the restrictions and conditions subject to which the licence is granted.

If a Child Performance Licence is not required we still request that the organiser of the performance/show register all children taking part. this allows us to keep a register of all Worcestershire children taking part in a performance. Even if a license is not required most of the rules and regulations still apply.

Chaperones (Matrons)

Children must be in the care of either their parent (the child's legal guardian) or an approved matron at all times.

Note: Grandparents, uncles and aunts, childminders etc. are NOT legal guardians (unless they are recognised as such by the courts) and therefore need to be approved in order to be the chaperone. Parents, unless they are approved chaperones, cannot be responsible for children other than their own.

To apply for an additional chaperone you can download the Application for an additional chaperone (PDF 81 KB).

 Find out more information and advice about Child Entertainment

To find out more information or gain some general advice you can get in touch with our Child Entertainment Officer.

PO Box 5118
DY10 1YT

Telephone: 01905 822452

Was this information helpful?

Please rate the content of this page
Would you like to provide any additional comments relating to the content of this page? Your feedback will help us to improve the content of our web pages

This page was last reviewed 27 May 2014 at 9:57.
The page is next due for review 23 November 2015.