Benefits of Cycling
People cycle for lots of different reasons. Some choose it
because it provides a cheaper way of getting to work, whilst others
enjoy the opportunity to spend time with family and friends.
Whatever your reason for cycling, by using the bike you could:
- Save money – Once you have bought a bike, the running costs are
extremely low in comparison to the car.
- Improve your health and fitness - Regular cyclists enjoy a
fitness level of a person 10 years younger. Regular cycling also
halves the risk of heart attacks and helps reduce risk factors like
high blood cholesterol and high blood pressure.
- Save time - Cycling offers one of the most reliable journey
times day after day. In urban areas cycling often saves time as you
can cycle past stationary traffic and for short trips it is often
quicker than using the car.
- Go where cars can’t go – Cycling is not only constrained to the
road! Cyclists are able to make use of specialist bike paths,
shared use pathways and bridleways, all of which act as useful
- Park easily – You don’t need to worry about fighting over
parking spaces or remembering to carry the correct change for the
parking meter. Cycle parking is free and conveniently located.
- Go Green – By riding your bike you’ll be doing your bit for the
environment as cycling emits no carbon dioxide and helps to relieve
We are not responsible for the content of external sites.
This page was last reviewed 31 May 2013 at 10:39.
The page is next due for review 27 November 2014.