Search Suggestions
Close Search Suggestions
A - Z of Resident Services:
You are here:
Code of Conduct


Complaints about conduct of Councillors - Members' code of conduct

Please use the online complaint form to submit your complaint

The Council has a Code of Conduct that sets out the rules governing the behaviour of its Members. All elected Councillors, co-opted and independent members of the Council with voting rights (collectively called "Members") , are covered by this Code and are expected to follow it. A copy of the revised Code of Conduct which has been adopted by the Council (PDF 128 KB) 

The Code of Conduct covers areas of individual behaviour such as Members abusing their position or misusing the Council's resources. In addition, there are rules governing disclosure of interests and withdrawal from meetings where Members have relevant interests. Members are also required to record their disclosable pecuniary interests.

The Council has appointed a Standards and Ethics Committee to promote and maintain a high standard of conduct by Members. It is made up of elected Councillors and 3 independent people (who are neither Councillors nor employees within local government).

If you feel that a Member has breached the County Council's Code of Conduct you will need to refer your complaint in writing to Simon Mallinson, Head of Legal and Democratic Services and Monitoring Officer, Worcestershire County Council, County Hall, Spetchley Road, Worcester, WR5 2NP, 01905 766670 or

Your complaint must relate to the Code of Conduct and the behaviour of Worcestershire County Council Members. It must state the nature of the alleged breach and provide sufficient information to allow the sub-committee to decide whether the complaint should be formally investigated as a potential breach of the Code. Please use the online complaint form to submit your complaint    

NB Complaints about Council Staff, matters not covered by the Code of Conduct, the way the Council has or has not done something, and decisions of the Council and services it provides cannot be dealt with under this process.

Complaints that a Member has breached the Code of Conduct will be reviewed by the monitoring officer in consultation with the Independent person (as appropriate) and referred to a Hearing Sub-Committee of the Standards and Ethics Committee where appropriate.  A member has a right of appeal against a finding of a breach of the code which will be heard by an Appeals Sub-Committee.

If you wish to discuss your complaint, please contact Simon Mallinson as set out above.

Further Information

In this section

More Information

See also in our website

External websites

  • Home Office
    the lead government department for policies on immigration, passports, counter-terrorism, policing, drugs and crime.
  • Cabinet Office
    Explore the Cabinet Office
  • Deputy Prime Ministers Office
    Department for Communities and Local Government.  
  • GOV.UK
    Information about voting and elections.
  • The Electoral Commission
    An independent body set up by the UK Parliament, whose aim is integrity and public confidence in the democratic process.
We are not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more

Was this information helpful?

Please rate the content of this page
Would you like to provide any additional comments relating to the content of this page? Your feedback will help us to improve the content of our web pages

This page was last reviewed 7 February 2014 at 11:01.
The page is next due for review 6 August 2015.