Search Suggestions
Close Search Suggestions
A - Z of Resident Services:
You are here:
Travel Assistance (Under 16)

Travel Assistance (Under 16)

Worcestershire County Council provide various levels of  travel assistance for school education. Please read below to find out which level of assistance you are entitled to.

FormApply online for Travel Assistance for Pupils under the age of 16


Entitlement to free travel assistance

Statutory school age children and pre-statutory school age children who are admitted to mainstream schools in accordance with the current County Council Admission Policy are entitled to free travel, provided that they:

  • Live in Worcestershire
  • Are 4 years old at September 1  
  • Are attending either the designated or nearest school for their home address
  • Live beyond the statutory walking distance from the school

Statutory walking distance is 2 miles (3.218 Kilometres) for pupils up to 8 years and 3 miles (4.828 kilometres) for pupils between 8-16 years. The distance is measured by the shortest available walking route.

Extended entitlement criteria 
Primary School aged pupils who live between 2-3 miles from the nearest suitable school and from low-incomes families are entitled to free transport.

High school aged pupils from low income families will also be entitled to free transport assistance to a choice of up to 3 schools between distances of 2-6 miles.

Denominational travel assistance

From 2012/13 Worcestershire County Council will no longer assess new applications for denominational preference, pupils who have previously been entitled to denominational travel assistance will continue to remain entitled to this assistance.

Non-entitlement - Vacant Seat Payment Scheme

The Authority may still be able to help under the County Council’s Vacant Seat Payment Scheme, which offers parents the opportunity to by any spare seats at a discounted rate on a school contract vehicle. Vacant seats can only be awarded once all eligible riders have been allocated their seat.  

We will only offer spare seats on vehicles contracted to Worcestershire County Council, using existing routes and boarding points. (Transport is linked to specific schools, however it may be possible to offer a seat to a child who attends another school near the route. In these cases the County Council cannot accept responsibility for transporting the child when the transport does not operate because the specific school it serves are closed).

To apply for a vacant seat, please complete an application in the usual manner and indicate vacant seat application on the form.

We cannot guarantee that the spare seat will always be available as requirements for entitled pupils may change from time to time and on occasion, we may have to withdraw the facility. It is therefore important that you do not rely on the service and have alternative travel options available if necessary.

Visit our Price Structure page to find out more about contribution costs.

Severn Card

If your child is not entitled to travel assistance, or isn't offered a seat on the Vacant Seat Payment Scheme, and can utilise public transport, you can apply for a Severn Card. Choose between a Worcester or Worcestershire Severn Card which entitles your child to travel on services within the area (Worcester or Worcestershire). Visit the Severn Card web page for more details.

How to apply for travel assistance

Application forms are available at your school / college and county council officers are usually available at parents' evenings to answer questions and help complete applications

Alternatively, download and print off the Under 16 Travel Assistance forms (PDF 958 KB) 

FormApply online for Travel Assistance for Pupils under the age of 16

or visit or call the Worcestershire HUB on

01905 765 765 who will send out an application form.

Visit our School and College Transport Appeals page should you wish to appeal against an assessment made.

Was this information helpful?

Please rate the content of this page
Would you like to provide any additional comments relating to the content of this page? Your feedback will help us to improve the content of our web pages

This page was last reviewed 7 February 2014 at 11:48.
The page is next due for review 6 August 2015.