Search Suggestions
Close Search Suggestions
A - Z of Resident Services:

Eligibility for Concessionary Fares

If you are a resident in Worcestershire you are entitled to a bus pass if one or more of the following apply:

  1. If you are a pensioner
  2. If you are disabled
  3. If you need a Companion Pass

Proof of Eligibility

In order to prove your eligibility, all applicants will need to provide the following:

  • A passport style photograph
  • Evidence of permanent residence in Worcestershire. For example: Council tax bill, Utility bill, Bank statement ,TV licence, Driving licence.

Pensioner Pass

You can check when you'll become eligible by entering your sex and date of birth into the State Pension age calculator on the website.

Prior to April 2010 the age of eligibility for an age related concessionary travel pass was 60 years of age. Since then the age of eligibility has been tied to the pensionable age for women. So as the pensionable age for women gradually increases from 60 to 65 over the ten year period from 2010 to 2020 so too will the age of eligibility for concessionary travel for both men and women. However, the government is reviewing the current timetable for increasing the state pension age from 65 to 66. No decision has yet been made as to how the timetable will change. Any change will require the approval of Parliament.

The age of eligibility for concessionary travel is therefore:

  • For women = pensionable age
  • For men = pensionable age of a woman born on the same day

The Government Services website has published guidance on the change in age of concessionary travel visit for more information.

Additional requirements if applying for a Pensioner Bus Pass

You will also need to supply evidence of age, for example:

  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Driving licence

Disabled Pass

  • You are blind or partially sighted
  • You are profoundly or severely deaf
  • You are without speech
  • You have a disability or injury which seriously impairs your ability to walk
  • You do not have the use of both arms
  • You have a learning disability
  • You have had your driving licence refused or revoked on medical or physical grounds

Additional requirements if applying for a Disabled Bus Pass

Please see here the requirements needed to evidence your disability

Companion Pass

  • You require a companion to travel with you

Additional requirements if applying for a Companion Bus Pass

Proof of DLA high rate mobility level 8 PIP and proof of care or equivalent.  
See our Frequently Asked Questions for more details about the concessionary travel pass.

Was this information helpful?

Please rate the content of this page
Would you like to provide any additional comments relating to the content of this page? Your feedback will help us to improve the content of our web pages

This page was last reviewed 28 January 2014 at 15:40.
The page is next due for review 27 July 2015.