Search Suggestions
Close Search Suggestions
A - Z of Resident Services:
You are here:
Paying for Residential Care

Paying for Residential and Nursing Home Care

Information about the financial arrangements which apply if you intend to move to residential or nursing home accommodation.

Over 23250 pounds

If your available capital exceeds £23,250, you will pay the full cost of your accommodation and there will be no need for a financial assessment by the Adult Services and Health Directorate.

Less than 23250 pounds

If you have less than £23,250 in capital and are unable to meet the full cost of your accommodation either now or in the future, the Adult Services and Health Directorate will be able to help.

Less than £23,250

The Adult Services and Health Directorate may contribute towards the cost of accommodation providing you are assessed as needing residential or nursing care and a financial assessment confirms you have less than £23,250. All residents are required to pay towards their accommodation, but only what the law says you can afford to pay.

In order to decide your weekly contribution, a financial assessment will have to be completed. Precise details of your capital, properties, pensions, benefits and any income as applicable will be taken into account. All contributions are assessed according to procedures issued by the Department of Health.

Over £23,250

If you are not eligible for support from us, or you pay for your own support, you can still request an assessment of your care and support needs. 

The Access Centre can also signpost you to other organisations that might be able to help you, or you can visit the Carewise website to find out about organisations and services in your area that can offer support.

Request a Care Assessment

Information Download

  Download the Paying for Residential and Nursing Home Care (PDF 85 KB) leaflet.
This covers the rules about savings and capital, what is taken into account and how costs and payments are established.

Further reading

Find out more

This information is only a summary of very detailed regulations. Should you require further assistance please contact:

Central Accounting Agency
Adult Services and Health
County Hall

Telephone:  01905 728533

Further Information

In this section

More Information

See also in our website

External websites

Was this information helpful?

Please rate the content of this page
Would you like to provide any additional comments relating to the content of this page? Your feedback will help us to improve the content of our web pages

This page was last reviewed 9 January 2014 at 9:08.
The page is next due for review 8 July 2015.